Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

As you become more familiar with a place and with your first impressions out of the way, your senses begin to dull. I've realized that my ability to take interesting photographs has suffered as a result, and that good photography requires active "seeing" and looking for interesting things. We're now in our third week in Bangalore, and we're soon off to Kerala on Friday. Schoolwork has picked up and we're all being gently reminded (by impending deadlines for papers... ahhh papers) that this is in fact "study abroad."
Another thing worth noting is that in this setting, one must be active in looking for new experiences and stimulating oneself. A famous Concordian once said, "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of a feeble mind" (I think that's how it goes). This requires a lot of effort, especially when you're surrounded by thirty interesting and complex peers that you want to share your experiences with. Well, now for some pictures, many of these are from Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's ashram about an hour outside of Bangalore, a pretty sweet compound if you ask me. We (three of my fellow students and I) all needed a break from the constant honking of Bangalore. Ravi Shankar's ashram was a fascinating place, one which you could arguably call a cult. But it seemed a bit more gentle, although frankly I couldn't understand all the hooplah around this one guy who, as far as I could tell, ripped off some breathing exercises from the Buddhists and Hindus and added some inspirational taglines. There was so much attention around this one guy, it made me wonder, what'll happen when he's gone? Will his "art of living" (artofliving.org, I think) die as well?
Finally, I should also note that David, my roommate and comrade (in the non-post Communist sense, studiers of Chinese take note), helped in selecting some of the pictures shown in the previous installment, and is featured in one of the photos. Where is he? I'll give you a clue (no prizes awarded): he's sideways. David also provides friendly if untimely reminders that taking pictures of mosques is considered taboo.

Ok, one ultimately final note. Some of the pictures are from the Muslim section of Shivajinagar, a sensory-overloading marketplace very close to where we live. It's absolutely nuts. I can't describe it; refer to the Che quote on the right.
















5 comments:

annalisa said...

i'm glad there's no prizes this time because i can't find him. either he's not there, or i found him and forgot already. which is entirely possible, because i have the attention span of a drowning goldfish.

look, a puppy!

Anonymous said...

Hey..nice pictures of Bangalore city, have been there one a few years back.

Art of Living -- ripped of techniques from Buddhists and Hindus !! haha that gave me quiet a laugh. That is what I thought at first but then I realized it is not just it. I figured the ones who gave the world these techniques ages back were of some calibre and depth to have revealed this. Similarly with the Sudarshan Kriya that Ravi Shankar gave, and it effectiveness in thousands of people shows something about the elevated consciousness of the person. I wonder why we never call the path Confucius or Buddha a cult. A cult is quiet a western concept and does not fit in the oriental system, where things are quiet open and receptive. When Buddha taught new techniques like Kayaupassana and Vipassana meditation techniques 2500 years back, people never criticized him at the time, they experienced the benefits in thousands...and it still continues ! I wonder why we don't question why so many people admire and revere the Dalai Lama !
I feel it is easy to sit far and wonder why people like chocolate without first experiencing it :)))) !!


The hooplah is not for the techniques taught but for the guidance, profound knowledge and presence of a Master.

Alissa said...

Interesting blog visitors you've got.

Thanks for the heads-up on possible Blogger-in-China issues. If need be, I can e-mail my entries to my parents and ask them to post for me, I guess.

Your pictures continue to be wonderful. I especially like the one of the.. temple? mosque? round building? with the horizon and woman standing outside it in a yellow dress. Stunning.

Unknown said...

Those are wonderful photographs.
yet, my response to your rather harsh comments about this 'one guy'; is 'come and experience the Sudarshan Kriya yourself!

This is a profound technique which was discovered by His Holiness after a 10 day period of silence and various research papers have been written about its benefits - both on a physical and mental level.

It is the grace and presence of the Master that HE IS, that answers your wonder about 'so much attention being round this one guy'!

annalisa said...

so his cult members google his name every so often and spam people's blogs? classy.