Sunday, April 8, 2007

Out of Cape Town

On Monday we're off to Zwelethemba, a rural township outside of Worcester. I think Worcester is about an hour or two northeast of Cape Town, where we flew into yesterday and we're spending the weekend resting.

No pictures, unfortunately, since I don't have the cables on me now. We went to Camps Bay, which is a beautiful beach in Cape Town. We've been staying in Sea Point, which isn't quite as fancy, but is still a nice area. The area by the beach reminds me a lot of San Diego-- it's dry and hot under the sun, but gets cool at night. My number here is: 0786068771. The country code is 27, and I'm a little unclear on how to call from abroad, but I think you might drop the first zero. It's free to receive calls but really expensive to make them, even within South Africa.

Much of Cape Town seems like a little European colony. Things are expensive and there are rich people in their walled-off compounds. It's strange to imagine that apartheid existed just over ten years ago, during my lifetime. You wonder, too, how much has actually changed. One of my classmates observed as we were descending into the airport that the houses got progressively smaller and run-down as we flew towards the airport from the Cape area, until they were just a mess of shacks without roads. Right outside the airport.

Oh yeah, this morning we went to an Easter service at St. George's Cathedral near Bo Kaap in downtown Cape Town. It was a pretty nice church, and they held services in English primarily, but also in Afrikaans and Xhosa, the other two official languages of Cape Town (South Africa has 11 official languages).

So, this coming week I probably won't have internet access. Just warning you.

No comments: